Growing our Child Life team
At Prisma Health Children's Hospital–Midlands, we offer an intensive, 16-week Child Life Internship in the spring and fall each year. We pride ourselves on our growing Child Life team and offer a range of backgrounds to accommodate and grow each individual student.
Prerequisites for internship
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA (please also include major GPA)
- Undergraduate degree in child life or closely related field.
- Applicant must hold bachelor’s degree or be in senior year of program to qualify for internship.
- We accept both university-affiliated and independent students
- Minimum of 100 hours of experience in a pediatric hospital setting as a volunteer, or practicum student under the supervision of a certified child life specialist.
- Minimum of 100 hours of experience with well children of all ages.
- Must meet Association of Child Life Professionals eligibility requirements for certification.
Possible opportunities during internship
- School Age and Adolescent Inpatient Unit
- Cancer and Blood Disorders Inpatient Unit
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
- Pediatric Outpatient Surgery Center
If you have questions regarding your eligibility for a Child Life internship, please visit the Association of Child Life Professionals' (ACLP) website at ChildLife.org. Our internship program follows the ACLP application deadlines.
Application must include
- Association of Child Life Professionals' (ACLP) common application (PDF) »
- Verification form for a minimum of 100 accumulated hours of experience with infants, children, youth and families in stressful situations, health care settings and/or programs designed for children with special needs. Practicum experience under the supervision of a certified child life specialist is strongly encouraged.
- "Practicum in progress" form is available through the ACLP.
- Verification form for a minimum of 100 accumulated hours of experience with well children of all ages.
- Three completed recommendation forms, submitted via email to ChildLife@PrismaHealth.org
- Forms may be downloaded here (PDF) »
- Recommendation forms must be submitted from the recommender's email address.
- A professor must complete one form.
- A certified child life specialist must complete one form.
- Additional essays:
- What is your philosophy of child life? (500 words)
- Children’s hospitals across the nation offer child life internships. Why are you interested in the child life internship at Prisma Health Children’s Hospital–Midlands? (250-500 words)
- What reservations do you have about starting a career as a child life specialist? (250-500 words)
- Completed ACLP eligibility assessment course review: applicants must have documented verification of at least 10 approved courses, including one course taught by a certified child life specialist, completed prior to the beginning of the internship.
- Cover letter
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. Official transcript will be required once internship has been offered to candidate.
- If receiving credit from a college/university, a signed contract of agreement for internship participation, including an explanation of any additional expectations, assignments and/or projects required to receive credit.
- $25 processing fee (make checks payable to PHCH Child Life Department)
- All application materials must be postmarked by the stated application deadline to be considered. Hand-delivered applications will not be accepted. Incomplete application packets will not be reviewed.
We follow all deadlines set out by the Child Life Council. We do not currently offer summer internships.
||Initial offer dates
Mail applications to:
Prisma Health Children's Hospital–Midlands
Child Life Department
Attn: Christy Fink
7 Richland Medical Park Dr., Suite 7129
Columbia, SC 29203
Applicants will receive an email confirming receipt of their application. Once the application has been received and reviewed, selected applicants will be contacted to schedule a phone interview. After phone interviews, selected applicants will be contacted to schedule an on-site interview. Applicants not selected for an on-site interview will receive a written or electronic message. After on-site interviews have been completed, offers and declines will be made via telephone or electronic message in accordance with the ACLP offer and acceptance dates.
View/download our print-ready brochure (PDF) »
Email campaign unsubscription has failed