Developing our Child Life team
At Prisma Health Children's Hospital–Midlands, we offer an intensive, 18-week Child Life Internship in the spring and fall each year.
We will not be hosting a spring 2022 internship.
Learn more »
We pride ourselves on our growing Child Life team and offer a range of backgrounds to accommodate and grow each individual student.
Prerequisites for internship
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (please also include major GPA)
- Undergraduate degree in child life or closely related field.
- Applicant must hold bachelor’s degree or be in senior year of program to qualify for internship.
- We accept both university-affiliated and independent students
- Minimum 100 hours practicum experience in a pediatric hospital setting, under the supervision of a certified child life specialist. Additional volunteer hours within a child life department in a pediatric hospital setting are strongly encouraged.
- If you are a child life student seeking volunteer hours under the direct supervision of a child life specialist, please apply here.
- Minimum 100 hours of experience with well children of all ages.
- Must meet Association of Child Life Professionals eligibility requirements for certification.
- If you have questions regarding your eligibility for a Child Life internship, please visit the Association of Child Life Professionals (ACLP) website at ChildLife.org. Our internship program follows the ACLP application deadlines.
Possible opportunities during internship include (but are not limited to):
- Cancer and Blood Disorders Inpatient Unit
- Children's Emergency Center
- Infants and Toddlers Inpatient Unit
- Outpatient Cancer and Blood Disorders Clinic
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
- Pediatric Outpatient Surgery Center
- Pediatric Sedation and Day Hospital
- School-Age and Adolescent Inpatient Unit
Application must include
- Association of Child Life Professionals' (ACLP) common application (PDF) »
- Verification form for a minimum of 100 accumulated hours of experience with infants, children, youth and families in stressful situations, health care settings and/or programs designed for children with special needs. Practicum experience under the supervision of a certified child life specialist is required.
- "Practicum in progress" form is available on the ACLP website and is required to be submitted if the student’s practicum is still in progress at the time of application.
- Verification form for a minimum of 100 accumulated hours of experience with well children of all ages.
- Three completed recommendation forms, submitted via email to Christine.Fink@PrismaHealth.org
- Forms may be downloaded here (PDF) »
- Recommendation forms must be submitted from the recommender's email address.
- A professor must complete one form.
- A certified child life specialist must complete one form.
- No additional recommendation letters necessary.
- Additional essays:
- What is your philosophy of child life? (500 words)
- Children’s hospitals across the nation offer child life internships. Why are you interested in the child life internship at Prisma Health Children’s Hospital? (250-500 words)
- What reservations do you have about starting a career as a child life specialist? (250-500 words)
- Completed ACLP eligibility assessment course review: applicants must have documented verification of at least 10 approved courses, including one course taught by a certified child life specialist, completed prior to the beginning of the internship.
- Cover letter
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. Official transcript will be required once internship has been offered to candidate.
- $25 processing fee (make checks payable to PHCH Child Life Department)
- All application materials must be postmarked by the stated application deadline to be considered. Hand-delivered applications will not be accepted. Incomplete application packets will not be reviewed.
Due to staffing changes within our child life program, our next child life internship opportunity will be fall 2022.
If you have already submitted your internship application for spring 2022, we will return the application along with your processing fee.
We follow the ACLP recommendations for internship application deadlines as well as offer and acceptance dates for spring and fall semesters. We do not offer a summer internship.
Mail applications to:
Prisma Health Children's Hospital
Child Life Department
Attn: Christy Fink
7 Richland Medical Park Dr., Suite 7129
Columbia, SC 29203
Applicants will receive an email confirming receipt of their application. Once the application has been received and reviewed, selected applicants will be contacted to schedule a phone interview. After phone interviews, selected applicants will be contacted to schedule an on-site interview. Applicants not selected for an on-site interview will receive a written or electronic message. After on-site interviews have been completed, offers and declines will be made via telephone or electronic message in accordance with the ACLP offer and acceptance dates.